The Virtual Texas 4-H Reel ‘Em In 2023 Fishing Skill-a-thon opens March 20th. Rules and contest prizes will be released soon, and registration in 4HOnline begins on February 1st!
2022-2023 National 4-H Contest Results
Congratulations to all the District 5 4-Her’s who have competed at the national level! The District is so proud to have these youth represent Texas 4-H!
Click here to see the District 5 results
Food Show Results
The District 5 Food Show was on December 2 and the results have been released. Click here to see the results.
District 5 4-H Food Challenge
Rules for the District Food Challenge have been released and are available on the District website.
This contest challenges teams of 4-H members to create a dish using only a predetermined set of ingredients. From these ingredients, team members must identify and prepare the dish, then make a presentation about it to the judges.
The objectives of this contest include:
- Provide opportunities for participants to exhibit their knowledge and skill when preparing and presenting a dish
- Provide opportunities for participants to learn from other team members
- Promote teamwork
- Give participants opportunities for public speaking
- Provide leadership opportunities
For more information, visit the Food Challenge page
District 5 4-H Photography Contests
This year District 5 is hosting 4 different contests : Fall Foliage, General Photography, Spring Flowers, and new this year, Entomology, for our 4-H youth, Clover Kids, and Adults.
- Fall Foliage Photography Contest – Photos of interesting, unique, and colorful tree leaves that depict Fall or Autumn.
- General Photography Contest – 15 categories, from animals to plants and food, there is sure to be one for everyone.
- Spring Flowers Photography Contest – Take and submit photos of interesting, unique, colorful, bold, and beautiful spring flowers that depict the season.
- Entomology Photography Contest – Take and submit photos of interesting, unique, colorful, bold, and interesting Texas insects that depict their natural habitat.
For more information and complete rules, visit the Photography Contest page.
2022 District 5 4-H Food Show
Registration is now open for the 2022 District 5 Food Show, to be held on December 2 at the Henderson Civic Center in Henderson.
The theme this year is Backyard BBQ. What’s your favorite dish at a backyard BBQ? Don’t be afraid to showcase your culinary skills by experimenting with flavors and dishes commonly found at a backyard BBQ. Summer isn’t the only time for a Backyard BBQ! Sometimes, a backyard BBQ means you get to enjoy special dishes that you only see at a BBQ. Now is the time for you to get creative with flavors and recipes commonly found at a backyard BBQ.
Registration is open on 4HOnline and runs from October 18 – November 8, 2022.
For more information, visit the District 5 Food Show page.
Summer Fishing Registration is open
Ready to Reel ’em in this Summer? Registration is open STATEWIDE on 4-H Online for our summer skill-a-thon – fish June 1 – August 31st! Same rules and information used in the Spring event. Already have a profile in FishDonkey? No need to create another one! Summer tournament will open on this judging app on Monday, April 18th.
Multi-District Judging – Horse, Livestock & Meat
Rules of Play for the District Horse Judging, Livestock Judging and Meat Judging contests have been released. Registration begins on March 1 for all three events. Visit the individual contest pages for more information:
D5 Shooting Sports Games and Rifle Clinic
Whether you are new to shooting sports competition or been competing for a while, this is the place to show your shotgun and rifle skills!
Shotgun Games has Novice and Regular classes, and even adults, with a registered 4-H member, can try their skill at various disciplines. Those offered are Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, and 5-Stand.
Rifle Games is a 3-position event, with Junior age contestants only participating in prone. The other two positions, standing and kneeling, are included for Intermediate and Senior level contestants.
New this year is Smallbore Rifle Silhouettes. Smallbore Rifle Silhouettes are standard 1/5 scale steel chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams as specified in section 4 of the NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules.
- Seniors shoot a standard 40-shot course of fire, including ten chickens at 40 yards, ten pigs at 60 yards, ten turkeys at 77 yards and ten rams at 100 yards.
- Intermediates shoot a 30-shot course of fire, including ten pigs at 40 yards, ten turkeys at 60 yards and ten rams at 77 yards.
- Juniors fire a 20-shot course, including ten pigs at 40 yards and ten rams at 60 yards.
Adults – Interested in coaching the rifle project? Sign up for the FREE rifle clinic to be held during the afternoon. Bring your .22 rifle and see if you can knock down the silhouettes!
District 5 4-H 3-D Archery Meet
In 2021, Ronald Barlow, Sabine County Ag and Natural Resources agent, lost his battle with COVID-19. Ronald was a huge proponent of youth education and spent many years as an ag teacher, principal, and county agent. He truly enjoyed working with youth and helping them to achieve their goals, and one of his favorite 4-H projects was Archery. Beginning in 2022, District 5 has renamed their competition to the Ronald Barlow Memorial 3-D Archery Meet to celebrate his life and the positive impact he made on 4-H youth. For more information, visit the 3-D Archery page.